June 2020 Public Open Day
Date: 21 Jun 2020
Start Time: 9:00 AM
End Time: 3:00 PM
June 2020 Open Day Attractions:
*** Access is via the BACK GATE – see more below. ***
Entry is free though donations are appreciated.
Our open days are suitable for young and old, so bring along the kids and the grandparents and anyone else who loves planes.
The heritage centre is open between 9am and 3pm, however, please note gate access to the RAAF Base ceases at 2pm sharp.
You can download the visitor application form from our website by clicking on the Visitor Access Form link above. Bring a printed copy of the form with you (one per vehicle) and original photo ID for those who are 16 and over to minimise delays in access through the gate. As the heritage centre is located within RAAF Base Amberley, if you turn up without the correct photo ID, we unfortunately won’t be able to let you on to the base.
Allowed photo IDs:
- Australian State / Territory Drivers Licence
- Australian State / Territory Proof Of Age cards
- Australian / Foreign Passports
General visitors to the Heritage Centre will be required to access the base via the BACK GATE. The back gate is accessed by going through Ipswich, with the base access point located off Behms Road / Old Toowoomba Road, One Mile.
You will not be able to enter the base from any of the other entry points – please check your GPS directions before departing. Visitors who arrive at the main entrance on Southern Amberley Road will be directed to go back through Ipswich and access via the back gate.
Entry to the base must be via a registered vehicle (car or motorcycle). There is no bus service to the heritage centre. Visitors are not permitted to walk from the back gate of the base to the Heritage Centre.
The distance from the nominated carpark area to the heritage centre is approximately 300m. If you are unable to manage this distance due to disability / limited mobility, please advise our staff – they will then be able to direct you to the carpark which is closer to the centre’s entrance.
We also have items for purchase at our gift shop, a coffee area, our raffle and our yummy sausage sizzle, so don’t forget your loose change!
Please note the following conditions:
- Smoking is prohibited throughout the Centre precinct.
- Working assistance dogs are accommodated, however pets are not permitted on the Base.
- Photography is prohibited whilst transiting between the back gate and the heritage centre.
- We are an active operational air base, and therefore security checks must be conducted. If we have a large number of visitors attending, there may be some delays.